Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Where did June go?

Summer seemed to leave us as quick as it came. The last couple weeks have been cloudy and windy, but I guess I shouldn't complain. No snow at least.

Kelsey graduated from preschool a couple weeks ago. She is/was so excited. All the parents watching her walk down the aisle was unnerving for her though, she was trying to hide her face. I'd post a picture, but the look on her face breaks my heart. Didn't seem to phase her for long though. As soon as she was out of the limelight, she was having a great time, and she speaks highly of her experience.
I'm so amazed at the growth I've seen in her over the last year. It doesn't take her long at all to join other children at play. I also like how she talks about her shyness and she can choose to be brave to do something out of her comfort zone. Another big thing she did recently was give up her blankie. She has been very attached to one particular blanket since she was about 10 months old. The poor ol' thing is barely holding itself together. Grandma has sewn it up numerous times. I've been warning her that we'd have to put it to rest soon, keep it somewhere special so it doesn't fall right apart and have to be trashed. Last night she decided it was the night. We stuck it in her treasure chest of special knick knacks, and I let her pick a new blanket to sleep with out of the closet. My big girl.

Cam and I got to be part of Mantracker on Sunday. If any of you haven't seen that show, I recommend you watch it. It's on OLN. A man on a horse (and his sidekick) tracks a team of 2 people through the wilderness. The "prey" have a map and a finishing point they have to make it to in an alotted time. We were not on the tv show, but there was a local game here. What a blast! A lot of work was put into it and a lot of people were there. We were on a team of 4 people. We trekked between 11-12km, and we never got spotted once! We spent a fair amount of time in really thick brush, and got our feet soaked walking through swampy marshy stuff. Very hilly, rooty rough terrain. I'm losing at least 1 toenail, but 3-4 of my toes are very tender. This was 2 days ago and I can barely walk today! Oh, my hips, and calves, and ankles...I'm a hurtin' unit. I was really paranoid about bears since we had been warned many times of tons of bears in the area. No one on our team had any protection, not a knife, bearspray..anything. Cam had brought his defender, but saw that no other teams were carrying guns, so he left it in the van. God answered my prayers and we didn't even have a sighting. Would have been fun to see Mantracker at least once though, just to get that adrenaline rush. Turns out our trackers were watching the wrong team for awhile (there were 4 different teams out there, wearing different coloured armbands). By the time they realized it, we had made some good distance. Great weekend.

Went camping at Charlie Lake the weekend prior. It was a rainy/overcast weekend but it was okay. The heater in the tent trailer wasn't working, so night #2 was FREEZING, literally. I think I can honestly say one of the worst nights of my life. I was so cold, and I was so concerned for Carson that I put all my effort into keeping him warm. He was far too cold by himself in his playpen, so I brought him into bed with me. Kept blankets on him, but he didn't like them touching his head, so I'd hold them up with my arm (ouch). What a night. Leah got some kind of bug bite that over 2 days made her eye turn purple and swell shut. The bite was on her forehead. Took her to ER on the Sunday morning but the doc wasn't concerned at all. "Just a reaction to the bite". I wonder what that was.


Carson is now creeping around! It seems so early to me. He's 6- 1/2 months. My girls didn't do that until 8 months, later for Leah! Time to get a baby gate again. He is so discontent to sit still. It's driving me crazy! Not sure if he's teething or something, but he's had some randomly cranky days recently. Loves to eat solid foods, sweet potato and avocado in particular. He's also on formula now too. I've gradually been weaning him. Not done yet. He weighs 19 lbs and is 27".

Had a ladies' get-together here last week for the church. Only a handful of people RSVP'd, so we had to guess at the amount of food to make. It wasn't a potluck, this time the church gave us a budget to supply all the food and make it seem like a treat for the ladies. My 2 girlfriends and I prepared all the food. We had burgers and salads and fruit and black forest cake. Was a good night.


2 comments:

lil said...

Soundsl like alot of fun was had over the weekend!! Yes, 6 1/2 mo. is a bit early to crawl, so your work is cut out for you!
The food look great that you had for the ladies thingy. Looks all fat-free!!!
Love you all!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie - what a nice newsy post! I did happen to watch a part of Mantracker one night - you are brave to do that, with the thought of bears and all! My friend and I saw a black bear one morning just walking up a mountain trail near here - we yelled like banshees and swung our walking poles too, we must have looked crazy but he just kept running away! We decided not to walk there again.
Your kids are so cute and growing so fast, that is early to be crawling, what a guy! Have a great summer, Love, Aunt Flo